17.3.07

Just Say No: Oath to a Celebrity-free World

For a while now I've been very aware of how much useless space celebrity news and gossip takes up in my brain. Since I kicked the Big Brother habit (and this year Idol too) it's not as bad as it used to be, but honestly I think about celebrity lives way more than is necessary.

Do I need to wonder about how Angelina Jolie is going with her newly adopted Vietnamese baby? No. Do I need to know that Britney Spears is running around town flashing parts of her body? No. Do I need to be outraged that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes named their baby the very name I had chosen for my future daughter (Suri)? Okay maybe yes to that one. Do I need to know that Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake broke up, and wonder who broke up with whom? No.
I don't need to be thinking about any celebrity's personal life, ever, really, I mean who cares? How is that relevant to my life, to the world?

I've been meaning to enforce this for ages, so here goes.

I, Tea-cosy, vow to not read any words or look at any images related to celebrity gossip, both in print magazines, on the television, or on the internet, from this day forward. No browsing through Who Weekly at the doctor/dentists office or at the supermarket, no browsing through 'entertainment' articles on the Sydney Morning Herald site or shameless gossip on Perez Hilton.com. Absolutely no personal celebrity news shall enter into my brain at all, if I can help it.

Amen to that.

2 comments:

durdlin said...

How's that working out for you?
I vowed something similar a while back and it feels good.
A few days ago a friend of mine told me he saw a girl wearing a shirt which read FREE PARIS.
I was proud to say, "I don't get it."

Tea-cosy said...

Doh.. I wish I could say I don't get it either!
I must admit I've browsed through Who Weekly a couple of times at the newsagent, but your comment has inspired me to get back on that wagon.