8.2.07

Care, for your community

Feeling much better today. Despite the return of my normal brain I still managed to almost forget my helmet again. Yesterday, due to hungoverness from dinner and wine with a friend, I rode to work with no helmet and no bike lock. I didn't even realise til I got there, I just thought my hair felt rather breezy that day. Then got paranoid about cops on the way home, because the last thing I felt like was being told off my some pompous policeman with nothing better to do for not wearing a helmet during my 5 minute ride from work to home. Then some pedestrian yelled out 'Where's ya bloody helmet?' to which I replied 'Up ya bloody bum!' Okay so that's a lie. No one expressed a single bit of concern for my exposed noggin, can you believe it? Such an uncaring society we live in. I could have been knocked out or brain damaged or killed even.
I wish that those Christian community television ads would come back on, you know the ones from the 80's that went 'Do you need a haaaand? Be the first to say do you need a haaa-aand! Care, for your community.'

2 comments:

calm balm said...

Helmet is important!! but if you forget, just tie a gorgeous hermes scarf over your hair and ride sidesaddle.

Hannah said...

Once a friend of mine had a lucky escape when she forgot her helmet and got stopped by a cop. Because she's Chinese, the dickhead cop was like "YOU... MUST... PUT.. HELMET... ON... HEAD!" and she just pretended she couldn't speak English well and said "OK... THANKYOU" and went on her way.