9.1.07

The family burden

I know that I resemble my parents a lot more than I would like to
admit. This is not all bad as my parents are generally nice
people. Also it's totally understandable seeing as I did live with
them for 21 years of my life and now see them regularly. Parents and
family play such a big role in shaping our psyche and personality,
even though it's often nicer to think I shaped myself and my identity
through my own experiences and life choices. I think It's probably a
mix of both.

Anyway, recently I've been particularly disturbed by the fact that my
parents are such terrible communicators. They overreact, they get uptight,
they get defensive, they get frustrated - basically they're a communication
disaster!
But what's worse is that I know, dammit I know that I am just as bad!
I get like that with them and with Muz, especially when I'm tired and/or in
a bad mood. But sometimes I just do it and I don't know why, it's like
bad habit I can't shake. It's horrible because I know I'm doing it
and I hate it but I can't seem to stop.

I think it's just going to take a lot of will power, persistence and maybe
praying to the God of Kicking Bad Habits.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I know what you mean about inherited bad habits... I'm shy & inhibited like dad, vague & stubborn like mum... and bad at communicating from both. Grr!