17.1.07

Fast and soft

I have a friend who is kind of new. By that I mean we've been friends
only for about 6 months. I really like this friend and we get along
quite well, and I'm sure we would get along even better if only I could
understand what the hell she was saying half the damn time!! Not only
is this person a soft talker, but she is also a fast talker. Fast and
soft. Soft and fast. All the time. I get pretty sick of repeating myself
(What was that? Sorry what?) and so often I don't bother and just end up
making non-committal noises (yeah, mmm mmm) without even knowing what was said.

Now obviously I have two options here. I can continue the way it's been,
not say anything to her, and watch as our friendship sort of drifts along
and probably peters out somewhere down the track. Or I can gently and
tactfully raise the issue with her in the hopes that her condition then
improves and we might become closer friends because of it. I know this is
the decent thing to do, but the question is how.
Do I casually drop it in the conversation, like 'Yes, I love carrot cake too.
Hey, has anyone ever told you you talk very soft and fast?'
Or perhaps after a serious of whats from me, I could say 'Sorry about this.
I'm not sure if it's my hearing, but I always seem to have trouble trying to understand you. Isn't that funny?'
To which she would either get highly offended, or say 'Oh don't worry, that's
just me - I'm a notoriously fast and soft talker!'
To which I would reply 'Well will you please do something about it!'

3 comments:

calm balm said...

record her speaking then play it back to her.
does she serve any other purpose other than being friendly? if not, leave at bus stop.

Anonymous said...

As a soft talker myself, I can say that she probably doesn't realize you can't hear her. It seems to me that I'm shouting when to others it sounds whispery. Inside my head and to my ears, I sound "normal".
Recording her is creepy and invasive. Just tell her. If it is too much work for her to speak up, don't worry, she'll do the leaving.

-- The soft talkin' GeekLady

Anonymous said...

One more thought: tell her that you value her opinion and thoughts, and that you don't want to miss anything by not being able to hear her.
Bet she has a lot of fun ordering food at drive-through windows. (It's a real pain in the butt to me.)

GeekLady