6.1.07

A post not for squid lovers

Despite the fact that I was a (semi) vegetarian for 5 years, I'm not particularly squemish about handling raw meats. In fact, I kind of like the feel of raw meat, though that's not to say I have some kind of raw meat fetish, ala Amy Winehouse (check out the segment after the music vid, though that's worth watching too) (Hey, that was my 1st ever youtube link!)

That being said, gutting and cleaning a whole squid definitely ranks high on my disgustometer. So what did I do last night? You guessed it. I wish I had a photo of the squid before I got stuck into it, but it looked pretty much like these guys:



So anyway I probably should have googled instructions on how to clean a squid, but instead I just kind of chopped off the front tentacles and its big googly-eyed head (which was very freaky). Then all its ink started pouring out, so I had to rinse that out during which I splashed some on my new top from Thailand.
Then I tried to get all its gooey guts out, but couldn't, so I had to cut it open and scrape the shit out, and then I was upset because it wasn't in tube form anymore and I couldn't cut it into proper calamari rings. Lastly I took out it's spine thingy, and pulled off its stretchy black spotted skin and threw all that stuff out (which made our bin stink today).
Then I cut off the side flaps and chopped them, along with the tentacles and body, into smaller pieces. I coated the pieces with salted flour and fried them in olive oil, which I put on top of a salad, tentacles and all. But I think I under-cooked them, cos they were all kinda soft and mushy, so then Muz wouldn't eat it and I didn't like it much. I ate a bit, couldn't finish it, so then it all went into the bin.

Poor squid. It died in vain, really. I hope it's other dead squid friends from Angelikas Brothers went to more skilled kitchens to be handled by more skilled squid cooks than I.

No comments: